Python Forum
LoRaWAN anybody experimenting with this?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LoRaWAN anybody experimenting with this?
I have been following the advancements of LoRaWAN over the past few years, because the concept of a tiny little transceiver operating WAN without internet has fascinated me. There is now a development kit available for a measly 25 bucks from seeed studio (The LoRa-E5 https://www.seeedstudio.com/LoRa-E5-Dev-Kit-p-4868.html ). I purchased a couple of these about a week ago, and waiting for their arrival. As far as I can tell, most everything needed to get up and running is here. And now, $5 per month satellite access is available from swarm.

Here's an older (7 months ago) article on the swarm effort: https://www.semtech.com/company/press/se...-with-lora
As of today there are now over 100 satellites in Geo-stationary orbit, with 100 % coverage of Earth. Each satellite is about the size of a sandwich.

This, blows my mind and excites me to no end.

Most of the code I have seen is written in C. But with the computing power of this latest development board, I will attempt to get some python code up and running soon.

Some of the dev board features:
  • Full GPIOs led out from the Lora-E5 STM32WLE5JC
  • Global LoRaWAN® and LoRa frequency plan supported
  • Long-distance transmission range to 10km (ideal value in open area)
  • Mini and compact size, suitable for rapid testing and building small size prototype
  • Convenient RESET and BOOT buttons on board
  • world-first combo of LoRa RF and MCU chip into one single tiny chip and is FCC and CE certified, powered by ARM Cortex-M4 core and Semtech SX126X LoRa chip

Again, I'd love to see and hear from others who are currently experimenting, or are interested in the subject.

Messages In This Thread
LoRaWAN anybody experimenting with this? - by Larz60+ - Sep-13-2021, 01:09 AM