Python Forum
Help on a program to help with distributing food to the needy
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Help on a program to help with distributing food to the needy
I am not a very experienced programmer, but i have done some coding in python. I helped distribute food from a food bank the other day, and found a major issue. Right now, we give people either a 1 or a 2 card, single person or big family. All the judging on how much food is to be given to each person based on the cards is done by guesswork, though we do have amounts on every pallet. It was the worst feeling in the world when i had to look a woman in the eyes tell a mother with a 2 card that there was no more corn, and watch her go to the share the harvest deer meat table to get the same thing, on to fruit juice, misjudged again. There was however, cases of extra lettuce and cookies. This is a pretty serious problem.

I am looking to make a system with a simple and flexible interface to evenly distribute food that has a variety of different units. It needs to account for one and two card holders, and it needs to actively keep track of how many people are still in line, people come continuously. I would really appreciate community support on this, even if it is just a point in the right direction. It would be truly beneficial to a large number of people, we served about five hundred individual families on the last distribution. Any help would be much appreciated, i hope that i can take the help of the community and turn into a viable solution. If the solution works well, i will open source all the code and try to help other banks get it up and running, there is absolutely no intentions of profit.

Messages In This Thread
Help on a program to help with distributing food to the needy - by teenspirit - Apr-06-2017, 01:13 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Optimization problem ( food menu ) Truman 3 3,648 Apr-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Last Post: Truman
  Packaging and Distributing App for Python 3.6 solaikannan 1 2,716 Aug-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: snippsat