Python Forum
Code is returning the incorrect values. syntax error - Printable Version

+- Python Forum (https://python-forum.io)
+-- Forum: Python Coding (https://python-forum.io/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: General Coding Help (https://python-forum.io/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Code is returning the incorrect values. syntax error (/thread-40201.html)

Code is returning the incorrect values. syntax error - 007sonic - Jun-18-2023

Just trying to figure out why my code here is returning the incorrect minimum and maximum values. tried flipping the ">" and "<" around and it still doesn't work. I'm not meant to use the min() and max() functions here. My thought was maybe I should hold all of the input values in another variable and then check that one for the min and max values?

largest = None
smallest = None
while True:
    num = input("Enter a number: ")
    if num == "done":
        break
    try:
        int(num)
    except:
        print('Invalid input')
        continue
    if largest is None :
        largest = num
    elif num < largest :
        largest = num
    if smallest is None :
        smallest = num
    elif num > smallest :
        smallest = num
    # print(num)

print("Maximum is", largest, "Minimum is", smallest)
Output:
Enter a number: 9 Enter a number: 41 Enter a number: 12 Enter a number: 3 Enter a number: 74 Enter a number: 15 Enter a number: done Maximum is 12 Minimum is 9

RE: Code is returning the incorrect values. syntax error - rob101 - Jun-18-2023

One way to do this, without using min/max, would be to have the values stored in a list object, then do a .sort(), so that that you can use the index instead of the min/max functions: the minimum and maximum values would then be at index zero and index -1

RE: Code is returning the incorrect values. syntax error - 007sonic - Jun-18-2023

(Jun-18-2023, 05:24 PM)rob101 Wrote: One way to do this, without using min/max, would be to have the values stored in a list object, then do a .sort(), so that that you can use the index instead of the min/max functions: the minimum and maximum values would then be at index zero and index -1

Thanks I figured I would need to store all the values somewhere, but wasn't sure how. still new to working with python.

RE: Code is returning the incorrect values. syntax error - rob101 - Jun-18-2023

No worries. Post back if you get stuck, but I'm as sure as I can be, based on your grasp of Python thus far, that you'll work it out in no time flat.

You've made a good start, so keep at it.

RE: Code is returning the incorrect values. syntax error - bowlofred - Jun-18-2023

On line 4, you input() num. That means you have a string.

On line 7 and 8, you test if the string can be interpreted as an integer, but you don't change anything. So num is still a string.

So in the rest of the program you're doing string comparisons, not numeric comparisons.

RE: Code is returning the incorrect values. syntax error - deanhystad - Jun-18-2023

And your logic is wrong. Once you change the code so "num" is an int, this will give you the wrong answer.
    elif num < largest :
        largest = num
This will assign the smallest value entered to largest. You made the same mistake with smallest which will hold the largest value you entered.

RE: Code is returning the incorrect values. syntax error - 007sonic - Jun-19-2023

(Jun-18-2023, 07:05 PM)bowlofred Wrote: On line 4, you input() num. That means you have a string.

On line 7 and 8, you test if the string can be interpreted as an integer, but you don't change anything. So num is still a string.

So in the rest of the program you're doing string comparisons, not numeric comparisons.

OMG I did forget to change num to an int Thanks!
Edit: Yea it was that one simple mistake I knew I had everything right for the most part I just couldn't figure out what was going on. Also I did know I put the > and < in the wrong spots I was trying to troubleshoot and thought that might have been the problem. Thank you so much everyone!